Friday, January 2, 2009

#1 - Roger Clemens Record Breaker



And we're off! The first card of the 1987 Topps set is a Roger Clemens Record Breaker commemorating the game when the Rocket K'd 20 Mariners. It's funny seeing such a svelt Clemens after we've had the fat 'roided Roger shoved down our throats the last couple years. Growing up a Sox fan, I can't imagine any athlete going from loved to hated as much as this guy.

Overall, I like the Record Breaker cards, but you'll notice that on some of them, "Record Breaker" is red and others it's yellow. Not sure why Topps did that. Luckily, the record breakers don't diverge too much from the regular design, which is the now legendary wood backgrounds. Doesn't get more classic than that, and as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't been duplicated. More on that later.

3 comments:

  1. Ya know... I've spent 20 years with this set and I never noticed that Record Breakers was red on some cards and yellow on others. There's no pattern to it at all, I wonder if it was intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent 45 minutes trying to figure it out when I was putting up that post. No luck. If anyone knows, I'd be most appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I thought I had it figured out that AL players had a yellow Record Breaker and NL players had red Record Breaker...but Clemens messes that up.

    ReplyDelete